Should I talk to an insurance adjuster after I’ve been in a car accident?

Normally there are at least two insurance adjusters involved in a claim to recover money for injuries or property damage after a car accident. These include the insurance adjuster that works for your insurance company, and the insurance adjuster that works for the other driver’s insurance company. You should deal with them both differently.

By the terms of your insurance contract, you are probably required to give your insurance company details regarding the accident. You do not have the same obligation of providing information regarding the accident to the other driver’s insurance company. Give only limited personal information to the other insurance company and do not give any details of the accident. Their job is to settle the claim in the best interest of their driver or company, and they have no obligation to you. Any statement you give to an adjuster that does not work for your insurance company can be used later against you in litigation or settlement negotiation.

The best course of action after an auto accident is to talk with a qualified attorney. The personal injury lawyers at the Studstill Firm, LLP bring extensive experience dealing with insurance companies to each client’s case. We understand when our clients should and should not provide information, and work to protect their interests until the case is fully resolved. If you’ve been in a car accident, call our firm today at (229) 247-2299.