What should I do after being involved in a car accident?
No matter where you live, whether its in Valdosta, Georgia or New York City, it is important to know what to do after a car accident occurs:
- Do not leave the scene of the accident. Georgia law requires you to stay at the scene.
- After checking for injuries, call the police.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries.
- If your vehicle can be moved from the active travel lanes safely, Georgia law requires you to move to the shoulder or emergency lanes.
- Exchange information with the other drivers, including names, addresses, insurance companies, license tag information, and phone numbers.
- Be careful what you say during this time. Statements made immediately after a collision can be used against you.
- If there are witnesses, get their contact information and make note of what they saw and who they think was at fault.
- Take pictures of the accident scene and all automobiles (not just your own) if it is safe to do so. Cell phone cameras are very helpful for this.
- Promptly report the accident to your insurance company, or contact an attorney to do so on your behalf.
- Be careful about giving recorded statements. Insurance companies may tell you they are required but that is not always true. In fact, it is rarely true. Speak to a lawyer first before agreeing to give any recorded statement.
If you or a loved one sustained injury in a collision, call the experienced car accident lawyers at the Studstill Firm, LLP. We know how to make sure that your rights are protected, and that you receive fair compensation for property damage, medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We can deal with the insurance companies for you.